JAXA provides data materials, such as images and movies, taken by JAXA through JAXA Digital Archives. Please follow the procedures below to use the data.
(* JAXA commissions the work of material provision service to Japan Space Forum.)
How to use JAXA materials
- Please read the Conditions for Material Usage
Note: In some cases, you may be able to use JAXA materials without permission.
- Input the required information for the online application and submit it for registration.
- You will receive an “Online application confirmation” e-mail message. Click the URL on the message to complete the registration.
Note: You application has not been completed at this point.
- You will receive an “Online application completion” e-mail message.
- The Provision Service office will confirm your use of materials.
- You will receive a “Material Use Permission” e-mail message, then materials will be provided.
- Please provide us with your end-use product of the JAXA material.
(* JAXA set up a new contact point for "material provision with fees" from May 25, 2016.)
If you have any questions, please contact the Inquiry form.
Conditions for Material Usage
The copyright of all materials in the JAXA Digital Archives including texts, illustrations, images, sounds and videos belongs to JAXA, unless noted otherwise, and are protected by the copyright law and international treaties. Please follow the conditions listed below for the use of these materials.
- Material use without JAXA permission
- These materials can be used freely for personal use or educational activities such as school lessons. In other words, the materials can be used without JAXA's permission in terms of copyright law, if the usage is limited to academic study/educational activities and personal usage (e.g. activities such as printing out JAXA's materials from Digital Archives or saving them on a hard disc, etc. in order to use them in a class for a non-profitable educational organization such as schools or for limited purposes for personal, domestic and similar usages.)
- These materials can also be used without JAXA's permission if the usage is limited to the media including newspaper companies and broadcasters to solely cover JAXA activities.
In the above cases, still images can be downloaded from the JAXA Digital Archives. For the sake of the process of delivering materials, please use the online application form for movies/videos to inform us of your request.
- Usage requiring JAXA permission
In the case of usage other than Point 1 above, please use the online application form to receive permission from JAXA.
- Use for commercial purposes (images, advertisements, goods)
In some cases, JAXA provides materials through JAXA Digital Archives Provision Service even when materials are used for commercial goods, such as books, educational materials, or for TV or website contents that include advertisements, if the major purposes of such goods and contents are educational or the promotional introduction of aerospace projects.
If you are not sure that your usage purpose fits with the above or not, please feel free to contact the following.
» More information
- JAXA logo
The JAXA logo is a registered trademark in Japan and other countries. It is not available for the general public to use unless prior permission is received from the trademark holder (JAXA).
- Prohibited material use
We strictly prohibit the use of JAXA materials for the following purposes. Please be aware that we will immediately require you to stop using JAXA materials if we find that your usage is for the purposes explained below.
- To use them to support, recommend, abuse or injure a specific person, group or organization's activities.
- To use them for the purpose or in a form against public order and standards of decency.
- To use them in a manner to create misunderstanding about JAXA's activities and Japanese Space Development projects.
- To use them in a manner which may reduce the quality of the image or the trustworthiness of JAXA, or which may interfere with a specific person or organization's rights. (Note that this includes using research results, including academic researching theses, from this web site as though they were your own results or treating them in a manner that could lead to misunderstanding.)
- To use them before receiving JAXA's permission, if your use requires permission.
- If the material is provided by another organization (such as NASA) apart from JAXA, we can not authorize its use. Please contact the respective organization for usage of such materials.
- When the material is provided by NASA, please follow NASA guidelines.
» Using NASA Imagery and Linking to NASA Web Sites
- Important points for usage
- Please observe the following points for material usage.
Please indicate "(C) Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency (JAXA)", "(C) JAXA" when using our material to clarify the source. When the material is credited as a common copy-righted material between another organization and JAXA, please indicate both sources. (Ex.: (C) JAXA/NAOJ)
If there is a special note in the comment column for imagery, please follow the directions written there.
- Modification prohibited
Any modification of JAXA materials is strictly prohibited. These modifications include the trimming of materials including texts, illustrations, images, sound and videos (e.g. changing the ratio of length and width, cropping the image and making a collage of the original image, etc. to damage the original image) and changing colors or reversing images.
- Materials related to specific persons such as astronauts can not be used without separate prior permission from JAXA in order to protect personal publicity/portrait rights.
- JAXA does not guaranty the reliability or safety of any material registered here. We are also not liable for any losses caused by using the registered materials.
- You can not freely distribute the materials available from JAXA Digital Archives without JAXA's permission.
- Please also refer to JAXA's web site policy for the use of materials on the JAXA website.
Please indicate you have read and understand the information provided above:
Without checking the above box to agree on our conditions, your online application cannot be processed.
If "Online application" is not available...
If you have difficulties using the "Online Application" due to communication line glitches or other factors, please fill in the following "Off-line application form" and fax it to us (03-5296-7010 in Japan, or +81-3-5296-7010 from overseas.)
» Off-line application form download
If you cannot find something you are looking for, or, if you are not sure if you purpose is categorized as "profit-making," please contact the following.
» Inquiry form
*JAXA commissions the operation of JAXA Digital Archives to Japan Space Forum.